Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Chalkboard and Art Display for Playroom


I knew we had to incorporate a chalkboard in the playroom. Rob used some pine wood to build a frame for it. We used leftover paint from our master bedroom accent wall to paint the wood. That color is Sherwin Williams Anonymous Gray.  One of my favorites, and it looks great with the gray we already had on the walls.



We used the Valspar Chalkboard paint in one quart from Lowes. The chalkboard required three coats, and it barely made a dent in the total quart. The can is still at least 70% full after painting an eight foot long chalkboard. The height of the board is approximately 2.5 feet.



After the chalkboard paint was dry, I followed the directions on this blog to ensure that I "seasoned the chalkboard" correctly. 
Wynn had me divide the areas up with the names at the top. She assured me that everyone will remain in their designated area. Rob used a router to notch out some sections at the botom of the chalkboard for the chalk and eraser to stay.

I purchased the Ikea Dignitet Curtain Wire and had it shipped to our house. It was around $25 with shipping, and it was less expensive then driving to Ikea and paying for gas. It came within in a week. Rob cut the wire the approximate length of the chalkboard and hung it up in around ten minutes. It took a little time because he did this with all the kiddos running around. It is a great system to have for displaying art work. I purchased the Riktig Curtain Hooks for $2.99 from Ikea as well to have something to hang up the artwork with.

Things are coming together and we are enjoying this much needed extra space a lot these days. It is a nice cool refuge on the warmer days of spring that is for sure.


4 comments:

  1. ooh i love that! the size is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooovve it! I've been wanting to make a framed one for my kitchen hallway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, everyone is gonna keep inside their area! :D I think we all need a chalkboard in our home! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! So incredibly sweet. I love each and every detail. What a fun room to play in!!!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate you stopping by! We love to read every comment on here. :)